Friday, July 14, 2006

 

'Mater Soup

My golf buddy had extra tomatoes because his wife grew too many. I haven't had too many so I took some of theirs so I could make tomato soup.

This recipe was in the Dallas Morning News Wednesday when these extra tomatoes came my way, so after golf, I made this soup. It is delicious.

This recipe calls for SIX POUNDS of fresh tomatoes. I only had 3 pounds so I made a half recipe.

ZUPPA DI POMODORA
(TOMATO SOUP)

2 T olive oil
2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
6 lbs fresh, ripe tomatoes
1 t salt
1 t sugar (I used Splenda)
3 sprigs fresh thyme (I used 1 teaspoon dried)
1 bay leaf
1/4 C fresh chopped basil

Heat the oil in a large pot. Cook the onions and garlic until onions are golden. Stir in all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes are breaking up. Remove from heat and allow to cool (about 20 minutes). Puree in a blender in batches. Strain, if desired (I didn't). Add black and cayene pepper to taste. Reheat and serve.

I also added 2 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream to my half recipe and thought it was great.

Thanks to Pat for growing the extra 'maters.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?